- Course Code: Med04-09H-0223
- Hours: 12 Hours
- Sessions: 4 Lessons
- Date: 7, 14, 21 & 28 February 2023
- Time: 7:00pm-10:00pm
- Location: West Wing, Justice Place, 11 Ice House Street, Central, Hong Kong
- Language: Cantonese, supplemented with English
- Fee: HKMC / IDRRMI member or mediator - HKD$4,500 ; Non-members - HK$5,000
- Application Deadline: 30 January 2023
*Terms and conditions applied
Suppose a participant is absent from the class due to compliance with the COVID-19 isolation or quarantine order. In that case, the Academy will arrange replacement classes for the participant in the next cohort with the rearranging class fee waived (participants must provide the Academy with the relevant government-issued supporting document for verification).
Please refer to the details below
Protection of intellectual property (IP) is important as it fosters innovation. Without proper IP protection on innovations in business and product development, owners’ benefits and values would be challenged by different risks, and this is one of the reasons for international disputes on IP. As a mediator, it is crucial to equip themselves with adequate IP knowledge in classifications, concepts, and specific handling techniques while resolving an IP mediation case. This course provides a basic general overview of intellectual property law: patents, trademarks, copyrights, and technology transfer. It explores the fundamental concepts of these laws and how these laws interrelate with each other.
The aim of this subject is to provide students with a solid foundation in the intellectual property aspect. Students will acquire the ability to identify and solve problems arising from the international nature of intellectual property. Via lecturing on the theories, and sharing case studies and case exercises, participants will be able to reinforce their competence in resolving IP mediation cases in both the Hong Kong settlement and internationally.
Successful completion of the course and fulfilling the requirements of the end-of-course assessment, you will be eligible to be enlisted on the Specialist Panel of the Hong Kong Mediation Centre (HKMC) or/and Specialised Expert Panel of International Dispute Resolution and Risk Management Institute (IDRRMI), specific for the Intellectual Property mediation.
- Introduction to Intellectual Property
- IP Concept
- IP Classifications
- International Intellectual Property Convention
- Trademark Concept
- Trademark Classifications
- IP Classifications
- Trademark Application Procedure
- Trademark Dispute
- Patent Concept
- Patent Characteristics and Classifications
- Patent Application Procedure
- Patent Dispute
- Copyright Concept
- Copyright Classifications
- Copyright Application Procedure
- Copyright Dispute
- Technology Transfer
- Technology Transfer Concept
- Technology Contract
- Technology Secret
- The benefit of Mediation for different stakeholders in Intellectual Property Dispute
- Overview of Intellectual Property Mediation Scheme, workflow and case management
- Collaborating with parties, solicitors, and mediation advocates in Intellectual Property dispute and mediation
- Mediator’s preparation in Intellectual Property (Pre-mediation session) and exercise
- Formulating mediation strategy and parties’ negotiation strategy in Intellectual Property mediation (and exercise)
- Mediation session specifically for Intellectual Property mediation (exercise) and drafting materials
- Drafting Mediation Settlement agreement / MOU in Intellectual Property mediation
- Role play 1
- Role play 2
- Written Assessment
Dr Alex Lau (Trainer of AIDRN)
Dr. Lau has gained profound knowledge and experience in the legal aspects of the intellectual property market through his involvement in the legal industry for over twenty years. Besides, being the partner of the Hong Kong Intellectual Property Advisory Services Limited (IPAS), he is, currently, the coach, and assessor of the Hong Kong Mediation Centre and an accredited mediator of the HK Mediation Accreditation Association Limited.
Individuals who participated in General Mediator Training Course from a recognised organisation or HKMAAL/ IDRRMI Professionally qualified mediators who are
- interested in enhancing knowledge of intellectual property
- interested in obtaining an advanced mediator qualification
- interested in enlisting as the mediation specialist panelist of HKMC or/and IDRRMI
Upon completion of this specialised course
- Students attaining 80% attendance in the course and passing the end-of-course assessment will be awarded a Certificate of Completion
- Candidates with the Certificate of Completion are eligible to apply to be the Intellectual property Mediation Specialised Panel at HKMC or/and IDRRMI within a year of the completion of the course.
- Applicant must fulfill the requirement of entering the professional mediator panel set by HKMC or/and IDRRMI.
Professional Qualification :
- Participants who successfully complete the course are eligible to apply and register to be enlisted on the IDRRMI (international mediation expert) or/and HKMC (advanced mediator) list, namely in the Intellectual property panel.
- Titled as IDRRMI (IME-IP) or/and HKMC (AM-IP)
CPD award to:
- Hong Kong Mediation Centre (12 CPD)
- International Dispute Resolution and Risk Management Institute (12 CPD)
- International Professional Advocate Association (12 CPD)
|Duration||Total 12 hours|
|Date||1 weekday night/ week for 4 consecutive weeks|
|Time||7pm – 10pm|
|Methodology||Lecture, Case study, Sharing, Exercise, Group discussion, Roleplay & Assessment|
|Medium of Instruction||Cantonese with English supplementary|
|Course Assessment||End-of-course assessment|
|CPD||12 Points (HKMC, IDRRMI, IPAA)|
|Certificate||Students attaining ≥ 80% attendance in the course and passing the end-of-course will be awarded a Certificate of Completion|
|Registration||1. Please complete and submit the online application form via clicking the "apply now" button above
2. Please settle the course fee by either cross-cheque or bank transfer on or before the deadline.
|Payment Methods||1. Cross-cheque
Cheque should be made payable to “Academy of Intl Dispute Resolution & Professional Negotiation Ltd.” Please write down your full name, and contact number and label the course title on the back of the cheque. Only applicable to owners of a Hong Kong bank account. Please submit your cross-cheque to the Academy of Intl Dispute Resolution & Professional Negotiation (Room 506, 5/F, West Wing, Justice Place, 11 Ice House Street, Central, Hong Kong).
2. Bank Transfer
Please provide Bank-in Slip and state your full name, contact number, and the course title.
Bank Name: BANK OF CHINA (Hong Kong) LIMITED
Bank Account: Academy of Intl Dispute Resolution & Professional Negotiation Ltd
FPS identifier: 169930302
|Terms and Conditions||A. Registration must be made by returning the completed online application form via google link and the crossed-cheque or copy of the bank-in slip to Room 506, 5/F, West Wing, Justice Place, 11 Ice House Street, Central, Hong Kong by 12:00 noon on 30 January 2023. Confirmation will be notified by email upon successful application on 1 February 2023. No Refund will be arranged in all circumstances after the confirmation letter is sent.
B. If you do not receive an email confirmation from the Secretariat on or before 1 February 2023, your name will be wait-listed. Your submitted cheque will be voided subsequently by the Secretariat if you have not been assigned a place in the captioned course or if your course fee was made by bank transfer, a cheque will be issued to you as the payment refund.
C. Participants must sign in and sign out. Participants who are late for more than 20 minutes or leave earlier in each session will not be qualified for the completion of IPAA’s & IDRRMI’s & HKMC’s CPD Points in respective sessions.
D. If you are not able to attend the captioned course after the receipt of the confirmation email, you are required to inform the Secretariat as soon as you are aware of unavailability on/ before the course date by email. No refund will be made after the confirmation letter is issued.
E. If typhoon signal no. 8 or above or black rainstorm warning signals are hoisted and not lowered by 2 hours before the lesson start, the lesson will be postponed or canceled. Rescheduled date/ time/ venue will be announced in due course.
F. In case of any disputes, the Academy of International Dispute Resolution & Professional Negotiation reserves the right to make final decisions.
G. The course is subject to change at any time without liability.