Next round (Hong Kong):
- Location: Hong Kong
- Code: Med04-04H-1121
- Class: 4 Lessons
- Date: 16, 23, 30 November & 7 December 2021
- Time: 7:00pm-10:00 pm
- Location: 506, 5/F, West Wing Justice Place, 11 Ice House Street, Central
- Duration: 12 hours (4 nights in total)
- Language: Cantonese
- Fee: HKD$4,500 (IDRRMI, HKMC, MHJMC, IPAA members); HK$5,000 (Non-members)
- Deadline: 8 November 2021
Please refer to the details below
Protection of intellectual property (IP) is important as it fosters innovation. Without proper IP protection on innovations in business and product development, owners’ benefits and values would be challenged by different risks, and this is one of the reasons for international disputes on IP. As a mediator, it is crucial to equip themselves with adequate IP knowledge in classifications, concepts, and specific handling techniques while resolving an IP mediation case. This course provides a basic general overview of intellectual property law: patents, trademarks, copyrights, and technology transfer. It explores the fundamental concepts of these laws and how these laws interrelate with each other.
The aim of this subject is to provide students with a solid foundation in the intellectual property aspect. Students will acquire the ability to identify and solve problems arising from the international nature of the intellectual property. Via lecturing on the theories, sharing on case studies and case exercises, participants will be able to reinforce their competence in resolving IP mediation cases in both the Hong Kong settle and internationally.
Successful completion of the course and fulfilling the requirements of the end-of-course assessment, you will be eligible to be enlisted on the Specialist Panel of the Hong Kong Mediation Centre (HKMC) or/and Specialised Expert Panel of International Dispute Resolution and Risk Management Institute (IDRRMI), specific for the Intellectual Property mediation.
- Introduction to Intellectual Property
- IP Concept
- IP Classifications
- International Intellectual Property Convention
- Trademark Concept
- Trademark Classifications
- IP Classifications
- Trademark Application Procedure
- Trademark Dispute
- Patent Concept
- Patent Characterises and Classifications
- Patent Application Procedure
- Patent Dispute
- Copyright Concept
- Copyright Classifications
- Copyright Application Procedure
- Copyright Dispute
- Technology Transfer
- Technology Transfer Concept
- Technology Contract
- Technology Secret
- The benefit of Mediation for different stakeholders in Intellectual Property Dispute
- Overview of Intellectual Property Mediation Scheme, workflow and case management
- Collaborating with parties, solicitors, and mediation advocates in Intellectual Property dispute and mediation
- Mediator’s preparation in Intellectual Property (Pre-mediation session) and exercise
- Formulating mediation strategy and parties’ negotiation strategy in Intellectual Property mediation (and exercise)
- Mediation session specifically for Intellectual Property mediation (exercise) and drafting materials
- Drafting Mediation Settlement agreement / MOU in Intellectual Property mediation
- Role play 1
- Role play 2
- Written Assessment
Dr Alex Lau (Trainer of AIDRN)
Dr. Lau has gained profound knowledge and experience on legal aspects of the intellectual property market through his involvement in the legal industry for over twenty years. Besides, being the partner of the Hong Kong Intellectual Property Advisory Services Limited (IPAS), he is, currently, the coach, assessor of the Hong Kong Mediation Centre and an accredited mediator of the HK Mediation Accreditation Association Limited.
Professionally qualified mediators who are
- interested in enhancing knowledge in intellectual property
- interested in obtaining advanced mediator qualification
- interested in enlisting in the mediation specialist panelist of HKMC or/and IDRRMI
Upon completion of this specialised course
- Students attaining 100% attendance in the course and passing the end-of-course will be awarded a Certificate of Completion
- Candidates with the Certificate of Completion are eligible to apply to be the Intellectual property Mediation Specialised Panel at HKMC or/and IDRRMI within a year upon the completion of the course.
- Applicant must fulfill the requirement of entering the professional mediator panel set by HKMC or/and IDRRMI.
Professional Qualification :
- Participants who successfully complete the course are eligible to apply and register to be enlisted on the IDRRMI (international mediation expert) or/and HKMC (advanced mediator) list, namely in the Intellectual property panel.
- Titled as IDRRMI (IME-IP) or/and HKMC (AM-IP)
The Course is recognised by :
- Hong Kong Mediation Centre
- International Dispute Resolution and Risk Management Institute
- International Professional Advocate Association
- Hong Kong International Mediation Centre
- Hong Kong Centre of International Commercial Arbitration
|Duration||Total 12 hours|
|Date||1 weekday night/ week for 4 consecutive weeks|
|Time||7pm – 10pm|
|Venue||Room 506, 5/F, West Wing, Justice Place, 11 Ice House Street, Central, Hong Kong|
|Methodology||Lecture, Case study, Sharing, Exercise, Group discussion, Roleplay & Assessment|
|Medium of Instruction||Cantonese with English supplementary|
|Course Assessment||end-of-course assessment|
|CPD||12 Points (HKMC, IDRRMI, MHJMC)|
|Course Fee||IDRRMI/HKMC/MHJMC Members: HK$4,500
|Certificate||Students attaining ≥ 100% attendance in the course and passing the end-of-course will be awarded a Certificate of Completion|
|Registration||1. Please complete and submit the online application from via clicking the "apply now" button above
2. Please settle the course fee by either cross-cheque or bank transfer on or before the deadline.
|Payment Methods||1. Cross-cheque
Cheque should be made payable to “Academy of Intl Dispute Resolution & Professional Negotiation Ltd.” Please write down your full name, contact number and label the course title at the back of the cheque. Only applicable to owners of a Hong Kong bank account. Please submit your cross-cheque to Academy of Intl Dispute Resolution & Professional Negotiation (Room 506, 5/F, West Wing, Justice Place, 11 Ice House Street, Central, Hong Kong).
2. Bank Transfer
Please provide Bank-in Slip and state your full name, contact number and the course title.
Bank Name: BANK OF CHINA (Hong Kong) LIMITED
Bank Account: Academy of Intl Dispute Resolution & Professional Negotiation Ltd