- Course Code: Med02-34H-1123
- Sessions: 5 lessons
- Date: 7, 10, 14,17 & 21 November 2023
- Location: Hong Kong Legal Hub, West Wing, Justice Place, 11 Ice House Street, Central, Hong Kong
- Language: Cantonese & Putonghua
- Application Deadline: 30 October 2023
*Terms and conditions applied
If a participant is absent from the class due to the diagnosis of COVID-19 and submits the relevant medical certificate to the Academy, the participant can be arranged make-up class(s) in the next session with the administration fee waived.
Target Participants A:
Individual Completed HKMAAL accredited 40-hour Mediator Course only
- Hours: 14 hours
- Date & Time:
- 7, 10, 14,17 November 2023: 7:00pm–10:00pm
- 21 November 2023: 7:00pm-9:00pm
- Fee: HKD$3,800
Target Participants B:
Hong Kong Mediation Centre / HKMAAL Mediator
- Hours: 15 hours
- Date & Time: 7, 10, 14,17 & 21 November 2023: 7:00pm–10:00pm
- Fee: HKMC Mediators: HKD$4,500 ; Non-HKMC Mediator: HKD$5,400
Please refer to the details below
Following globalization and the dedicated promotion of various development strategies and plans of China, including the construction of the Belt and Road Initiative, the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank, the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership, the 13th Five-Year Plan and the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Bay Area, more and more cross-border commercial and trading businesses are being brought about. It is then expected that commercial disputes will follow. In addition, with the signing ceremony of a new mediation convention approved by the United Nations Commission International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) taking place soon, there will be a growing demand for high-end international legal services from businesses.
As a leading dispute resolution centre in the Asia-Pacific region, Hong Kong is well-positioned to provide cross-border dispute resolution services. Mediators in Hong Kong are thus faced with more challenges, and more opportunities to handle commercial disputes which may involve or be caused by the differences in judiciary systems and social institutions in cross-border settings.
Aim of the Course
This course is designed for people who are interested in becoming an International Accredited Mediator of International Dispute Resolution and Risk Management Institute (IDRRMI) or handling international commercial disputes. It covers Mainland China’s Diversified Dispute Resolution Mechanism and the model of international commercial mediation. By understanding the differences between various judicial systems, Hong Kong mediators will learn to cater to the business culture and industry needs of different places so as to effectively settle international commercial disputes through the International Dispute Resolution platform using Med-Arb or court-connected Mediation. Meanwhile, the course will increase students’ ability to resolve international or cross-border disputes so that they can provide local and international enterprises with high-quality and professional services in the future and be part of the top-notch team of dispute resolution experts.
Students who have completed the course and passed the assessment can obtain the internationally recognized qualification of an International Accredited Professional Mediator of IDRRMI, putting theories and skills learned in the course into practice on an international commercial mediation platform for resolving international commercial disputes. Moreover, upon completion of the course, students will be awarded 15 CPD points from the Hong Kong Mediation Centre.
Part 1 – The Development of the Diversified Dispute Resolution Mechanism of the Mainland and Operation of the Latest International Commercial Dispute Resolution Mechanism
- Introduction and latest development of the Diversified Dispute Resolution Mechanism of the Mainland
- International Commercial Dispute Resolution System
- UNCITRAL’s latest development and the signing of the Singapore Convention on Mediation
- Use of the International Commercial Dispute Resolution Mechanism in settling the Belt and Road international trade and investment disputes
- Development of the cross-border mediation procedure between investors and the government
- Singapore Convention on Mediation: Opportunities and Challenges for China and Hong Kong
Part 2 – The Application of the International Commercial Dispute Resolution Model
- Essential skills for International Accredited Professional Mediators
- Rules and guidelines of the international dispute resolution Model
- Application and practice of international dispute resolution Model skills
- Application of relevant documents of the International Dispute Resolution Mechanism
- Interaction and Cooperation with International Dispute Resolution Advocates
Part 3 – Mainland Judiciary System and the Role of an International Dispute Resolution Advocate
- Constitution and mainland Administrative Laws, categories of Civil and Commercial Laws
- Brief introduction of the judiciary structure and the litigation procedures of the Mainland (Civil and Commercial)
- Key points in Med-Arb and Court-connected Mediation for international disputes
- Validity and significance of the International Dispute Resolution Mechanism
- Role-play exercise 1
Part 4 – Cross-border Case Study
- Role of an International Dispute Resolution Advocate and the legal basis of providing professional services
- Importance of the professional services before and after international dispute resolution
- Provision of various supporting documents for cross-border cases
- Role-play exercise 2
- Assessment of the preferred options for cross-border cases
- [Target Participants A] Individual who attended and completed a Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited (HKMAAL) accredited 40-Hour General Mediator Training course
- [Target Participants B] Accredited mediator of Hong Kong Mediation Centre or Panel Mediator of HKMAAL
- Persons who are interested in converting to be the International Accredited Professional Mediator of IDRRMI
- Persons who intend to deal with international commercial mediation cases
*If you are in neither Group A nor Group B, please refer to the [Med01] International Professional Mediator Training Certificate Course
- Persons who are educated about mediation (HKMAAL accredited mediation course); and
- Persons who are proficient in spoken English and/or Putonghua
Upon completion of this Conversion Course for International Accredited Professional Mediators
Target Participants A [Attended & Completed 40-Hours General Mediator Training Course]
- Students attaining ≥ 70% attendance in the course will be awarded a Certificate of Attendance
- Students attaining ≥ 70% attendance in the course and passing the end-of-course will be awarded a Certificate of Completion (14-hour)
- Candidates with the Certificate of Completion (14-hour) are eligible to apply for the Qualification Assessment for International Accredited Professional Mediators of IDRRMI within a 3-year period
- Candidates successfully passing the assessment are eligible to apply to be the International Accredited Professional Mediators of IDRRMI with the presence of the Certificate of Attendance or the Assessment Results within a year
Target Participants B [Obtained HKMAAL Mediator Qualification]
- Students attaining ≥ 70% attendance in the course will be awarded a Certificate of Attendance
- Students attaining ≥ 70% attendance and passing the end-of-course assessment will be awarded a Certificate of Completion (15-hour)
- Candidates with the Certificate of Completion (15-hour) are eligible to apply to be the International Accredited Professional Mediators of IDRRMI with the presence of the Certificate of Completion or the Assessment Results within a year
A team of recognized and experienced trainers and mediators of IDRRMI
|Duration||Target Participants A: - Individuals who attended and completed a 40-Hour General Mediator Training course
Target Participants B: - Accredited mediators of Hong Kong Mediation Centre or Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited (HKMAAL)
|Teaching Medium||Cantonese and Putonghua (Teaching materials mainly in Chinese)|
|Tuition Fee||Target Participants A: (14 Hours)
Target Participants B: (15 Hours)
|Application Method||1) Please complete the application form (Click on "Apply Now" from the above);
2) Submit copies of your mediation certificate(s) and identity document(s); and
3) Settle the tuition fee before the deadline listed above.
1. Crossed cheque
2. Bank Transfer
- Please provide the Bank-in Slip and state your full name, contact number, and the course title.
FPS identifier: 169930302
|Terms and Conditions||A. Registration must be made by returning the completed online application form via google link and sending the crossed-cheque or copy of the bank-in slip to Room506, 5/F, West Wing Justice Place, 11 Ice House Street, Central, Hong Kong by 12:00 noon on 30 October 2023. Confirmation will be notified by email upon successful application on or before 2 November 2023. No Refund will be arranged in all circumstances after the confirmation notification is issued.
B. If you do not receive an email confirmation from the Secretariat after 2 November 2023, your name will be wait-listed. Your submitted cheque will be voided subsequently by the Secretariat if you have not been assigned a place in the captioned course or If your course fee was made by bank transfer, a cheque will be issued to you as the payment refund.
C. Participants must sign in and sign out. Participants who are late for more than 20 minutes or leave earlier of each session will not be qualified for the completion of IPAA’s & MHJMC’s & HKMC’s CPD Points in respective sessions.
D. Upon the official confirmation sent from the AIDRN, under no circumstance replacement course/ session would be arranged for any absentee in the class, nor does any refunds.
E. If typhoon signal no. 8 or above or black rainstorm warning signals is hoisted and not lowered by 2 hours before the lesson start, the lesson will be postponed or cancelled. Rescheduled date/ time/ venue will be announced in due course.
F. In case of any disputes, the Academy of International Dispute Resolution & Professional Negotiation reserves the right to make final decisions.
G. The course is subject to change at any time without liability.