- Hours: 50 Hours
- Sessions: 5 lessons
- Date: 25 June, 2, 9, 16 & 23 July 2023
- Time: 9:00 am-7:00 pm
- Location: Hong Kong Legal Hub, West Wing, Justice Place, 11 Ice House Street, Central, Hong Kong
- Language: Cantonese, supplemented with Putonghua
- Fee: HKD$17,000
- Application Deadline: 11 June 2023
*Terms and conditions applied
With China’s development of the "Belt and Road”, the surge in cross-border investment and business growth is anticipated. The accompanying commercial disputes thus increase, so does enterprises’ demand for cross-border mediation services. On the other hand, the Supreme People’s Court is also actively promoting the reform of the Diversified Dispute Resolution Mechanism. Having been highly recommended by the Chinese Government, the tendency of adopting the Diversified Dispute Resolution Mechanism is expected in the Mainland.
The cross-border dispute resolution services provided by the International Dispute Resolution and Risk Management Institute (IDRRMI) combine the strengths of both international mediation and arbitration, so that the arbitral award can be applied and executed in more than 150 regions all over the world. The parties need not file the same litigation repeatedly in different jurisdictions. Mediation does not only save time and money, but it also helps enterprises maintain their reputations and partnerships. Therefore, mediation is advantageous and irreplaceable in terms of autonomy, confidentiality, compatibility, and flexibility, etc.
Aim of the Course
The Professional International Mediator Training Certificate Course (“The Course”), will equip participants with consolidated knowledge on the framework of the advanced dispute resolution system, including dispute prevention, dispute resolution and enforcement. Meanwhile, participants will also learn the conflict resolution process and the application of mediation skills in fostering effective communication among the parties in dispute to resolve conflicts systematically and effectively. Participants will have the opportunities to familiarise themselves with the approaches, strategies and communication/negotiation skills and to communicate as a professional mediators. The 50-hour, 5-day Course will be conducted in Cantonese supplemented with English, and consisted of multiple role-play sessions for participants to gain hands-on experience. The mediation role-play sessions at the Course will be coached by experienced mediators and renowned mediation trainers. The optimum ratio of a Trainer/Coach to participants is 1:4. The value of this Course weight on having international mediation experts and trainers share their extensive experience with the participants, consistency in the learning experience by practicing with the knowledge and skill immediately after learning them. At the end of The Course, participants are required to take part in the course-end assessment in order to complete the course.
After completing the course and passing the course-end assessment, the Course graduate is eligible to proceed to the Professional Mediator Qualification Accreditation organised by the International Dispute Resolution & Risk Management Institute (IDRRMI). Participants who successfully pass the said assessment will be qualified as International Accredited Professional Mediators (IAPM) of the IDRRMI. The profession of IAPMs is recognised by 280 organizations, government departments courts from Hong Kong, Mainland, and worldwide. They are qualified to practice mediations in Hong Kong, Mainland China, and overseas.
Advantages of the Training Course
- High Recognition
AIDRN is a global academic institute that offers training, defines competency standards, and conducts researches and data analysis for dispute resolution and negotiation. AIDRN receives support and recognition from prominent dispute resolution organizations such as the Hong Kong Mediation Centre, Mainland-Hong Kong Joint Mediation Center and universities in Australia, China, and the United Kingdom. As a centre for legal services and dispute resolution in the Asia Pacific Region, Hong Kong has already had a mature development in the international model of mediation. This course combines the international mode of mediation and Diversified Dispute Resolution Mechanism with Chinese characteristics, to equip students with the most professional mediation skills and knowledge, so as to deal with various international commercial disputes.
- International Professional Qualification
Upon completion of this course, graduates can apply for the Professional Mediator Accreditation Assessment organized by IDRRMI and will have the opportunities to handle cross-border/international commercial mediation cases.
- Teaching Quality Assurance
A team of experienced instructors is responsible for preparing the teaching materials and teaching this course. The reputable teaching team has trained up many professional mediators in Hong Kong and around the world, indicating that the teaching team and teaching materials are up to international professional standards.
- Professional Development Platform
Upon successful completion of this course and the accreditation assessment organized by IDRRMI, students can apply to become the International Accredited Professional Mediator of IDRRMI. IDRRMI provides diversified continuing professional development opportunities and platform to International Accredited Professional Mediators, including advanced courses, talks, seminars, mediation, case referrals, etc., in order to help them further develop their mediation profession.
- Understanding Dispute, Psychology in dispute, types and nature of disputes
- Basic concepts, trends, and prospects of mediation
- Introduction of the AIDRN - Model of Disputes
- Cross-border dispute resolution service and its mixed-mode mechanisms
- International tools for the dispute in cross-jurisdiction
- The challenges and opportunities bought by the United Nations' Mediation Convention
- The preparation of the settlement agreement recognized by the "United Nations Convention on International Settlement Agreements Resulting from Mediation"
- Investment states dispute and mechanisms
- Satisfying business and international needs the advanced system
- Legal Framework and Policy Support to mediation
- Legal knowledge of the Mainland and Hong Kong
- Specialized mediation schemes
- International Conventions for commercial dispute resolution
- Application and key to The United Nations Convention on Mediation on International Settlement Agreements resulting from Mediation (The Singapore Mediation Convention)
- HKIMC/APCAM Hong Kong Centre Attestation Report on International Enforcement
- Mediation Process 1: Mediation Processes, Opening Statement, and Scope of Application
- Mediation Process 2: Mediation Processes, Joint Sessions, Separate Sessions, and Discussion of Details
- Mediation Skills: Communication Skills and Questioning Skills
- Mediation Skills: Listening Skills, Facilitation Skills, Reframing Skills, Negotiation Skills
- Mediation Skills: Use of Body Language, Empowerment, Handling Impasses and Deadlocks, Closing the Last Gap
- Basic Concept of Contract, Mediated Settlement Agreement, and other related documents
- Mediation Code and Mediation Ordinance
- Mediator’s Rules and Code of Ethics for International Mediator
- Role Play exercises
- Legal, social worker, compliance, businessman, human resources, property managers;
- Persons who are interested in dispute resolution or international mediation;
- Persons who intend to deal with international commercial mediation cases.
Students attaining 100% attendance in the course and passing the examination at the end of the course will be awarded an "International Professional Mediator Training Certificate”.
Students with the "International Professional Mediator Training Certificate” can apply for the Professional Mediator Accreditation Assessment organized by IDRRMI. Candidates who successfully pass the assessment can apply to become the International Accredited Professional Mediator of IDRRMI.
A team of recognized and experienced trainers and mediators of IDRRMI